Co-ordinates the reseach in the Composite Materials Group and leads the “composites on meso- and macro-level” research direction:
- textiles and textile composites
- random fibre composites (short and long fibres)
- mechanics of heterogeneous media
- modelling and exprerimental studies of mechanical behaviour of composites under static and dynamic loading
- composite manufacturing, especially forming and impregnation
Prof Lomov is KU Leuven co-ordinator of national and European funded projects with total funding about €1.5 mio per year, and projects directly funded by industry (Asco, Bekaert, Dow, EADS, LMS, Owens Corning, Snecma, Telene, Toray etc). The software WiseTex developed by S.V. Lomov, is used in more that 40 universities and companies.
Prof Lomov is a (co)author of more than 400 scientific papers, including some 140 in SCI journals. He is a member of editorial boards of Composite Science and Technology, Textile Research Journal, Mechanics and Industry, and a member of scientific committees of ECCM, ESAFORM, TexComp, CompTest, FPCM conferences.